Aziz Mian: More than a Qawwal

Aziz Mian, an Indian born Pakistani who created ripples in the field on philosophical qawwali is known as just qawwal. But I do not agree to this statement. I grade him more than a qawwal. Qawwali is traditional musical of sub-continent which is held mostly on the rituals of saints of sub continent. I has been controversial but I still follow it.

Aziz Mian has no more among us. But he will be remembered till the time sufi thought remains!!!

But why???

I was a bit ill this morning. So I let the office go vacant for a day. I was feeling empty minded since morning so I rushed towards Qawwali folder and let Aziz Mian fill the spaces. For the last three hours, he has been making the space filled with positivism. I am writing these words for him just let you people know he is something more than a qawwal.

He is only qawwal in the world having 3 masters degrees. One is in Urdu, second in Persian literature and third in Islamic studies. He read, experienced and shared it via his tunes. He jumped out of no where and prevailed. He first time came in the time line when he stood first in the persian qawwali festival in Iran in early 70's. Since then he never looked back.

I would like to mention here his sufi legacy. He had some kind of affiliation with a dervish sitting at a reilway track-canal junction in Multan at Nobahar canal. He used to visit him and hold qawwali concert there. This routine remained there for several decades. Before his death in his last concert he said ''Next year some one else would be singing here and we would be listening.''. And this is what happened. Same year he went to Iran and passed away. On next date, his sons were singing qawwali there and his grave besides that dervish was there to listen.

That's why he has become eternal. May his soul rest in peace. 

1 comment:

windwheel said...

God Bless you and your family and community!
Just today I was feeling depressed and out of sorts and left work to come home early. Walking from the station, I passed a cemetery and, I don't know from where, a line from Aziz Mian came into my head.
Just now I thought to look him up in Wikipedia- I did not know he was born in Delhi and from Meerut originally.
Also I did not know he was greatly appreciated in Iran.
The World is a small place- we think we are alone but it is not the case.